Getting A Library Card
Library cards issued by any of the public libraries within Stone County or by mail will be honored by all the Stone County public libraries provided that the borrower is in good standing with the library system.
Applicants for a library card are required to present proof of residency or property ownership. Required proof may be in the form of any one of the following items.
- A valid driver’s license with a current address.
- A state issued identity card
- Current property tax receipt.
- A valid voter's registration card
- A current utility bill showing patron's name and address
If non-picture identification is presented staff may also require a picture ID as additional proof.
Before a minor can be issued a card, they must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who can provide proof of residency in Stone County. Adult patrons with fees beyond $10.00 will not be allowed to open new accounts for minor children.
Those residing outside of the county will be charged $30 per year per household.
Adults who are unable to visit a branch location to obtain a library card may request an application form be mailed to them. Once the completed application form is returned, along with a photocopy of the applicant’s driver’s license, a library card will be issued and mailed to the applicant. The Missouri Driver’s license, used as proof of residence, must be currently valid and have a Stone County address.
Lending Limits and Overdue Fees
The maximum number of items borrowed on a library card at any one time is 30. Limits on specific items are as follows:
- Video 5
- Magazines 5
- Audio Books 5
- New Books 5
There is a 10 cents per day per item late fee on all materials. Overdue notices will be sent when items are 7 days late and again when they are 14 days late. Library cards with a $10 fee are suspended until all fees are paid.
Placing Holds: Just 4 Easy Steps
- Search for the item that you want using our Evergreen Catalog.
- Once you have found the item, click on the green Place Hold button to the right.
- You will be prompted to enter your library card number and PIN. If you have forgotten your PIN, call the library to have it reset.
- On the next screen, verify that it is the book you want, the library you want to pick it up, and verify phone or email. If this is correct, click Submit.
You may have 5 holds on your card.
Don’t Get Late Fees, Renew
Items check out for 2 weeks, however you can get an additional 2 weeks by renewing if there are no holds placed on the item. Either call the library or renew online.
Steps to Online Renewal
- Go to our Evergreen Catalog and click on the My Account in the upper right corner
- Enter your library card number and PIN and click Login. If you have forgotten your PIN, call the library to have it reset.
- Go to the Items Checked Out tab
- Click in the box beside the items you would like to renew and click GO. If there are no renewals left, you won’t be able to click in the box.
- You will be given a new due date or a pop-up will show that the item failed to renew.
Updating your Information.
It is important that you keep your account up to date so that we can inform you if you have holds available or your items are overdue. Please drop by or call us if your phone number, mailing address, or email address has changed.
The Stone County Library System Board of Trustees are appointed by the County Commission to four year terms. The Board of Trustees serve entirely as volunteers. We greatly appreciate their service.
President George F. Scott
Vice President Angie Evans
Treasurer James B. Huy
Member at Large Pam Sheridan
Member at Large Mary Carlson
The Board regularly meets on the 3rd Thursday of January, March, May, July, September and November at 3:00pm in the meeting room in Galena.
There are no current openings. Please check back later.